Understanding the CBD Co2 Extraction Process Being Used in Canada
CBD products have become so popular nowadays in Canada, and so many people are jumping on the bandwagon. The health benefits of CBD have been supported by many studies, so it’s not surprising to see the number of people who trust and rely on it. People who have decided to stick around with CBD are probably trying to know more about CBD for various reasons.
For Canadians who love and are relying on CBD, sometimes knowing some basic things about it is still not enough. They want to know more about CBD, including how CBD is extracted from hemp plants. Today, we have some extraction methods that use different solvents and/or substances to get the desired results. And among these different methods, the CO2 extraction process is probably the most popular one.
So if you want to learn more about the extraction process of CBD, learning about the CO2 extraction process is a great place to start. Hopefully, after learning about the extraction process, you’ll understand more about where your CBD product comes from and how it gets to your hands.
CO2 extraction process
As mentioned above, the CO2 extraction process for CBD is probably the most popular method used today on the Canadian market. It’s all thanks to how safe the procedure is and how many advantages it offers. Some experts believe that this method is the industry standard, as it is the cleanest way to extract CBD from hemp plants and even remove much of the THC content at the same time. And they also believe that CO2 is a safe, effective solvent when used for the CBD extraction process.
In the CO2 extraction process, there are three main forms that we know: supercritical, mid-critical, and subcritical. Among these three, supercritical is the most popular today. Besides the CBD industry, the herbal supplements and food industries are using the CO2 extraction process for their products as well.
The extraction process
Now, let’s dive deeper into the process itself. CO2 extraction requires high-temperature carbon dioxide forced at high pressure through the plant to get as many cannabinoids as possible, preferably only the desired ones. In other words, the process will remove the plant’s essential and desired cannabinoids, terpenes, and waxes.
Carbon dioxide, when exposed and kept at a specific temperature, becomes a liquid and works like an ordinary solvent, but without the dangers associated with other solvents. Once the carbon dioxide has turned into liquid, it is then kept at extremely low temperatures, this step is also known as supercritical.
The result is a form of CO2 oil with amber color. This oil can be used as a tincture or with a vaporizer. Furthermore, the end result is a top-quality, clean product with no contaminants.
The pros and cons of the CO2 extraction process
Like other extraction methods, the CO2 extraction process has both pros and cons. In other words, the extraction process isn’t perfect, either for the manufacturer or consumer. To summarize, let’s take a look at the pros and cons of the CO2 extraction process.
Pros of the CO2 extraction process
- Very safe compared to other extraction methods. CO2 itself is already used widely in some other industries related to foods and beverages. The most popular example is probably carbonated soft drinks, which are possible because of CO2.
- Many companies heve been using and trusting the CO2 extraction process for a very long time because of how effective it is.
- The end result is pure, which is essential for CBD products. The cannabinoids produced by this extraction process retain their potency and are free of contaminants, such as chlorophyll and other harmful substances. This is very important for people who care about the purity of their CBD products.
Cons of the CO2 extraction process
- The equipment needed for the extraction process is costly, starter kits cost about $40.000 each. This makes it impossible for certain companies and many individuals to use this extraction process.
- It takes a lot of specific knowledge to operate the equipment. Again, this is not ideal for certain companies and many individuals who want to do it themselves.
- CBD products created by this process tend to be pricier than other products on the market. So Canadians have to spend more money to get these products.
There you have it, some basic knowledge of the CO2 extraction process that is related to many CBD products. As you can see, this extraction process is very popular and many industries in Canada are also using it. By weighing the pros and cons, you can decide whether the end products are worth the money or not.